May 05, 2013

A little bit better

I've had a quick trip home to make sure we've still got one, re introduced myself to the cat, sorted the garden and now I'm back with Mark.

So an update for Mark ......  Friday night after I left he didn't have a very good night, lots of pain but we decided it was probably from having been moved from one bed to another to go back to the ward, he said it was my fault he was in pain because I'd gone and left him.

Saturday morning he was still not good, having periods of dysreflexia (severe headache and raised blood pressure) which is a problem because most nurses and doctors don't know what it is or how dangerous it is. Once Mark's blood pressure gets over 120 it's really high for him, but the Doctor still wouldn't take any notice of him and that's a problem.  Luckily he has his secret stash of GTN spray so he can take it when he wants, but really they need to try and find out what's causing it and sort it out.

Saturday afternoon he seemed to rally round a bit more and had visitors .... thanks Flash, David and Sylvia ..... and last night he slept probably the best he has since he's been in here. Then late Saturday afternoon he suddenly thought the morphine might be giving him the headaches, so the next time he began to get the headache he refrained from taking another dose of morphine and it didn't get any worse. He asked if morphine could cause the headaches and raised blood pressure and seemingly it can .... he's got internet again now I'm here (using my phone as a router), so as soon as I finish this blog he's going to be reading up on it ...... you all know Mark, he'll know more about it than the nurses by the time he's finished!

Today they've taken the drain out of the wound area and turned down the dosage on his intravenous morphine pump. he looks and sounds a lot brighter than when I left him on Friday night and didn't take any time digging into the M&S Caramel Crispy Mini Bites I bought him down.

I'm staying in the hospital tonight with him so he better not snore or I'll be looking for a store cupboard to sleep in!!

No comments: