August 03, 2011

Surreal Moments

Sunday we went to visit friends who live in a tiny village just outside Richmond, North Yorkshire. It's in the middle of nowhere. Their local is about 300 yards along the road and we set off to have some lunch. Stuart (also in a chair) and Mark with me pushing are in the road near the footpath (footpath not suitable for wheelchairs) when a car comes past us then pulls into the side behind us. We all look around thinking some is going to jump out and give us a bollocking for being in the road, when out steps Neil and Miggy (they had their boat moored across the pontoon from us in Lefkas). How bizarre, we haven't seen them since they sold their boat in the spring. So we all stand about in the road then and have a bit of a chinwag, like you do.

After they had gone on their way we had our first experience of getting into a pub not really equipped for wheelchairs and in the process of someone hauling Mark up a couple of stairs they mis timed it and sent Mark hurling forward in his chair just as I was bending down to help. He head butted me big style. Oh but we have soooo much to learn.

I did have a piccie to put in with this entry, but at this moment in time, I seem to have misplaced my camera - please don't tell Mark, I'll get an ear bending!

Today we went all the way to Hull for him to try a car, then out for a lovely curry. On the way home (a journey that should have taken us 1 1/2 hours), as we get to the motorway and it's closed, we were sent off on a 20 mile diversion all over the country side before re-joining miles on. It took us over 2 hours to get back. As we're getting out of the Barbara Bus at 11.15pm I get a call from the Spinal Unit to find out where we were - I think they were hoping I had kidnapped him and wasn't bringing him back, but sadly they were wrong, think we were on the verge of getting a bollocking for getting back so late but lucky for us they were so busy they didn't have time!

No comments: